Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Tangled up in blue spruce.

Love this tangled lights cupcake idea from I Am Baker!
I'm not sure if it was the first chocolate from the advent calendar, or the mild weather that forced me into the crawl space to haul out the holiday bling.

Oh, let's face it – it was sheer peer pressure from the gorgeous display of lights popping up all around my neighbourhood. A few keeners even had lights up in November! I had some work to do.

Like cutlery etiquette, I decorate from the outside in. The large tree in my front yard is the appetizer.

The first order of business (after mixing an egg nog) was detangling the lights that – I swear – went into the crawl space in neat coils.

Managing to break a few bulbs (and a sweat) in the process, I was halfway up the tree and ready for the next string when I realized I had the wrong end in my hand. I'd strung them up backwards so they couldn't plug in. #@$&!@

It was about this time that my neighbour wandered over to offer a helping hand. It seems we both had pole envy from watching our other neighbour run his lights high up into his tree effortlessly – with a golf ball retriever. Genius!

Naturally, we borrowed the telescopic pole, and it wasn't long before I had 3 sets of lights running all the way to the top. I detangled the extension cord just enough so it would reach the tree and hollered for the kids – who suddenly had "homework" – leaving me with the neighbours to witness yet another Christmas miracle.

I plugged in the lights and – of course – the second string of lights were completely dead, leaving a gap like a missing tooth. It looked like another trip to Canadian Tire.

By nightfall, and thanks to my neighbours, I had an almost fully-lit tree outside – and a warm glow inside.

With this chore crossed off my long holiday list, I was one step closer to the first of many annual neighbourhood holiday parties. I am blessed with the history we share with our children, and the laughs that go along with years of familiarity.

Finding the perfect neighbourhood is as important as finding the perfect home.They become one.

So now, I have presents to buy. Deals to close before the holidays. A trip to Lunenburg for a tree. Christmas pageants. And holiday baking.

And while it all seems overwhelming at the moment, the list detangles and things eventually fall brilliantly into place.

meghanlaing@domus.ns.ca