Wednesday, November 27, 2013

It's a boy!

Yes, I've neglected my blog... for nine months. (But who's counting?)

This has been a particularly hectic time in our household. There was the usual mayhem that comes with three kids; playing matchmaker in a listing-dense real estate market; and a long, hot summer trying to hold it all together without cracking a sweat.

And, speaking of sweat, I have a delightful new addition to my family!

Relax, it's not what you think.

My Dad has moved in!

Like at least 28% of Canadians, I find myself looking after a parent – although my Dad would send me to my room if he knew I was suggesting he was anything other than a free-spirited (and available) 'Silver Fox'.

My handsome, active, independent Dad is dealing with a medical issue – so, after a great deal of debate and coaxing, it was simply easier for him – geographically – to move in with us. But where to put my little excuse for not blogging?

Having grown up with a pristine, under-utilized "guest room" that we kids were not allowed to step foot in – I've seen the rise and fall of the traditional guest room.

Today's busy families usually turn that extra room into a home office, or a gym. The other scenario are the empty nesters who downside – quite possibly to eliminate any chance of having the kids move back in.

The extra room – if you are lucky enough to have one – can be a real multi-tasker. Add a day bed or pull-out sofa to a home office, and voilĂ ! ... a guest room. But let's not have our friends and relatives waking up with their head on the fax machine. A little effort, decent linens, and creative storage make for a good night's sleep. (And let's not forget a clean stack of towels and a night light.)

In my case, there simply wasn't an extra room for dear ol' Dad. Add to this, my fear of even a nice Murphy bed (pictured below) snapping shut in the middle of the night.

I had to improvise, and there was nowhere to go but down.

So, while it isn't your traditional guest room – our once messy family/rumpus/TV room in the basement – is now a cozy in-law suite complete with separate entrance and private washroom. It isn't perfect, but it's comforting to know my Dad is at home with us. (I guess you could say I have a Manny!)

Our family room is now truly a room for family.

I wonder what the next nine months will bring?

meghanlaing@domus.ns.ca