Tuesday, January 28, 2014

In a Branston pickle.

I'm homesick.

Don't get me wrong, I am home. But after spending a piece of the holidays in England, I find myself watching old episodes of Downton Abbey while craving fish 'n' chips (with a side of mushy peas) and long walks through rolling hills dotted with sheep.

Last night, I curled up with a cuppa tea and a glossy issue of House & Garden UK, wondering how much a flat in London, or a thatched roof cottage in Devon would set me back. (A girl's got to have a dream.)

North America's need for square footage is such a contrast to the traditional British cottage lifestyle. Lately, I've been spending my days (and evenings) showing gorgeous homes with sweeping lines and cathedral ceilings – longing for cozy spaces and well-worn "settees".

This pining for British charm and dusty, tasseled cushions is a sharp contrast to the modern, creamy walls and white sofas in my own "sitting room". So I will snap out of it. Eventually.

But as the Dowager Countess of Grantham (aka Maggie Smith) would say. "I'm a woman, Mary. I can be as contrary as I choose."

This week, as I run my hand along 'must have' granite countertops, I think of how massive stainless steel appliances would completely take over a Devon cottage kitchen. Quaint spaces  – lacking the storage space for big box Costco-style shopping – require thoughtful menu planning, and daily outings to the local grocer.

And while British cottages are traditionally pint size, on postage stamp plots of land, you will always find a well-stocked pantry and a garden of some sort – herbs, jam-worthy berries, or climbing roses – all keeping calm and carrying on toward the sunlight.

Can I wag the Union Jack long enough to at least start a British-style urban garden? My green thumb isn't exactly green, but I'd love to see my kids getting their hands dirty – growing fresh herbs, and smelling the roses. Although, I can already see them, rolling their eyes in unison. Maybe I'll start with one hearty variety tomato plant.

But urban farming is on the rise, despite Halifax council battling over the right to own a backyard chicken. And the rebirth of the "butler's" pantry could be the next housing trend. Picture a big walk-in affair full of port, muddy Wellies, and, sigh, jars of Branston pickle.

So as this "bleeding" Canadian winter continues to turn fluffy white snowbanks into black puddles – and back to ice – I will flip though British gardening magazines and inspirational websites like Square Foot Gardening.

And I will no longer see a nook or bonus room as "not big enough for a spacious home office". I will sell it as a cozy living area with potential for a window seat – perfect for curling up with a copy of Pride and Prejudice. The Colin Firth edition.

meghanlaing@domus.ns.ca