Friday, March 13, 2015

Ringo, Paul, John and Georgian.

While most Haligonians slipped south to escape winter, I headed across the pond to continue my British obsession. 

Proudly flashing my shiny new British passport, I arrived at Heathrow, an authentic British citizen. Thanks to my father’s heritage and enough patience to navigate passport applications, I am able to enter the UK without the bother of long immigration lines. With this new sense of entitlement, I took the Tube instead of a cab into the heart of London to stay at the most stunning boutique hotel in Soho. But it wasn't easy.

What I learned is that my North American sized ‘case’ was far too Kardashian to navigate the many stairs and escalators leading to and from the tube station. If you've seen the movie Paddington, I was one duffel coat shy of looking that out of place. I resembled a very unsophisticated tourist – in heels. 

Everything about Britain is compact and understated. I’ve got to work on that. Oh and someday, I might not feel anxious about stepping off a curb as my head turns to the left making sure there aren’t any cars heading my way. Oops!

Arriving in Soho, just up from Leister Square, I dragged my bag through bustling city streets until I reached The Dean Street address, a small 39 room hotel with soft décor and stunning Georgian architecture. After some apologies about my oversized case (and a gin & tonic) I blended in quite nicely. 
Needless to say, I was in heaven. 

I love the many facades of London! From the grandeur of royal palaces to the everyday existence of railway stations. There’s something wildly romantic about London and something dark and dangerous – in a Jack the Ripper and British history way. 


London is dapper men in Saville Row suits. London is feeling like "the" Queen sipping tea at Fortnum & Mason. London is simultaneously all business – in a lush, green parks way. With a splash of Coronation Street wit thrown in, London is a melting pot. My melting pot.

When I am in London I feel I am at the centre of the world. Surrounded by incredible architecture, I marvel at the iconic Houses of Parliament and my idle, Big Ben. The history fascinates me. In this splendid city, rich in past, I love to witness the Changing of the Guards, or just stand and take in the views from the intersection of Horse Guard Avenue and Whitehall Ct. I don’t know exactly what is that captures my attention, but this is my favourite corner.

Every time I leave London, I take a piece of the experience with me. The West End theatres, Brixton High St, Camden’s bars, Harrow, Trafalgar Square, The Dorchester….I have stories to tell about them all.

But, a pint just doesn’t taste the same back here at home. Earl Grey out of a mug just doesn't cut it. So until next time, I’ll savour the little things – adding a bit of a British accent to my home. A shiny door knocker. A coat of paint. A Harrods tea cup.


And once this ice melts, I'll walk downtown and tip my hat to Halifax's Georgian architecture, working up a thirst for a Pimm's or a pint of local ale. Until then, cheerio!

Meghan