Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Let's talk about unpronounceable blonde Swedish supermodels.

Looking out my window, it's safe to say we're a little premature to be talking about outdoor fire pits, container gardening, or those strappy sandals I saw downtown. 
Keeping it warm and indoors, let's talk about a few Swedish supermodels I've been dreaming about. Of course, I'm talking IKEA.
I know you may be saying, "But we don't have an IKEA" – not to worry! Thanks to a Halifax-based business myboxbuyer.comordering that beautiful blonde wood (table) you saw while online shopping at work, is easier than spelling "smörgåsbord". 
All you do is place an order through myboxbuyer, then they arrange the shipment and delivery. They also offer no-hassle returns and excellent customer service. Now if I could only get them to put it together for me.
So let's talk about IKEA kitchens! I have a sweet, West End bungalow for sale that is begging for an updated kitchen. But who has that kind of money after closing a starter home? 
Luckily, gone are the days of the high-end custom kitchen. Today, it's all about affordable style and function – mixed with high-end finishes. Take Ikea's new Sektion kitchen system. I can't say that I've ever felt drawn to dark wood cabinets before, but the warm chocolatey tone and thin-raised edge detail of Ekestad won me over. Take a look at the blonde Björket – a crisp Shaker profile. And lastly, there's the timeless perfection of the white door. Whoever makes up the names over there in Sweden calls it, Råsdal. The finish is a whitewash over white ash so you see the wood grain through the paint. It's dreamy... take a look online.
The IKEA systems are reasonably priced, and can be dressed up with higher-end countertop materials and back splashes. I like the IKEA price, and the simple, crisp style – very Vincent Van Duysen – contemporary and spacious in feel. Your home can be sophisticated, but also informal – with a focus on spaces for family life and entertaining. 
I recently toured a client's home – a traditional Victorian. The kitchen was renovated with IKEA cabinets, concrete counter tops and stainless steel back splash. The result is a feel of modern simplicity mixed with craftsman character. A dreamy combination!
Let's not forget the incredible storage options IKEA has for mudrooms, laundry rooms, and areas that double as offices and spare rooms. I show so many gracious older homes with no storage space or closets. Once again, my Swedish knight in shining armour to the rescue.
Keeping your home clutter free and organized makes room for creativity and flow in other areas of your life. It often feels that when my life is in disarray, so is my home. When I motivate myself to tidy up, things always fall back into order. I call it de-cluttering my mind.
Next time, hopefully we can talk about spring cleaning or moving your kitchen outdoors. Failing that, there's a gorgeous, sleek German I've had my eye on. The Miele vacuum.